Last Updated on June 24, 2022
Last Updated on June 24, 2022
Of all the small towns in North Carolina, we’ve thoroughly enjoyed this one most of all. Please don’t tell anyone we say this, but how can you top the history, the Southern hospitality, and these things to do in New Bern?
Head to New Bern and you’ll be treated to the best of North Carolina‘s Inner Banks region, a beautiful place filled with friendly people and amazing attractions. Our guide shares it all, including how to get here, some interesting historic tidbits, and of course, our favorite things to do in New Bern.
Because there is so much to do before planning your trip to New Bern, here’s how we have organized this guide:
- New Bern Location Info and Quick Facts
- Where to Stay
- Annual Events
- Year-Round Things to Do in New Bern
- Things to Do in New Bern’s Surroundings (Croatan National Forest and More!)
You can scroll ahead to any of these sections or continue reading about New Bern’s location and some quick tidbits!
Read More: Historic Towns in North Carolina
Where is New Bern, North Carolina?
Before we share our favorite things to do in New Bern, we thought you should know a little more about this town.
- New Bern is located in Craven County, North Carolina.
- It is considered a part of the Inner Banks region.
- The town sits at the confluence of the Trent and Neuse Rivers and features a beautiful waterfront downtown.
- New Bern gets its name from the capital city of Switzerland.
- Bern means bear and the people of New Bern love showing off their “Bear Town” pride. That’s why you’ll find bear statues throughout town.
- Founded in 1710, New Bern is North Carolina’s second-oldest town (after Bath).
- As a result, the town is home to beautiful historic churches, the first fire station, and other historic sites.
- One of those sites is Tryon Palace, which briefly served as the first permanent capitol of North Carolina.
Read More: The NC Tripping North Carolina Travel Map
Where to Stay in New Bern
There’s one more thing we need to discuss—where to stay. You have a lot of quaint and historic Beds and Breakfasts in Downtown New Bern to choose from, and many are not far from the water.
Another highly recommend Bed and Breakfast in New Bern is The Aerie! Built in 1882, The Aerie has eight luxurious rooms each with its own unique charm and decor. Whether you’re coming to New Bern to relax or for business, we can’t recommend The Aerie enough!
Owners John and Beth are incredibly accommodating and you will be steps away from both Downtown New Bern and the historic Tryon Palace.
The Victorian-style inn even housed historical guests including a State Senator, a cousin of the Wright Brothers, and the son of Pepsi creator Caleb Bradham!
The Jarvis at 220
One of our favorite places to stay in New Bern is The Jarvis at 220. The historic bed and breakfast is conveniently located near downtown on Pollock Street making it easily walkable to all of the wonderful things to do in New Bern!
The Jarvis at 220 has four incredible appointed rooms filled with historic charm and special touches. Guests will find local art in their rooms and throughout the house as well as a signature flavor of fudge from Bear City Fudge waiting for them.
The owners, Denise and Michael, make you feel right at home the moment you check-in. From the delicious breakfasts, fully stocked beverage station, and Southern hospitality, I can personally vouch for The Jarvis at 220 is one of the best places to stay in North Carolina.
Annual Events in New Bern
Adding to your list of things to do in New Bern should include some of these incredible annual events!
- April: Spring Homes and Garden Tour is a wonderful time of the year when homeowners of historic homes open their doors to the public. Tour the homes and take in the original architecture and stop by Tryon Palace for their Annual Heritage Plant Sale too!
- September: Annual Chili Festival is held in Havelock and is a two-day chili-filled festival! Enjoy judging competitions for chicken wings, chili Verde, red chili to more!
- October: Mumfest is the most popular annual event in New Bern! Bringing more than 90,000 festival-goers downtown New Bern is filled with beautiful mums, live music, and a weekend of dining in the streets!
Read More: Weekend Getaways in North Carolina
Year-Round Things to Do in New Bern
Those special events are certainly worthy of your calendar. Here are things to do in New Bern, no matter when you visit!
Union Point Park
It’s really a toss-up between downtown and Union Point Park the waterfront wins first mention.
The waterfront at Union Point Park is a wonderful spot to catch the sunrise and watch boats as they pass by. You can spend as much time as you want there, sitting on a bench or walking along the wooden boardwalk.
It’s a great place to just slow down and take it easy for a while. Personally, I can’t wait to get back and do just that.
Walk around Downtown
New Bern’s slow-paced downtown is easily walkable. I recommend getting an early start because people will be out visiting the town’s interesting buildings and locally owned businesses.
We recommend checking out the oddities at Black Cat Shoppe and taking your checking out the outdoor equipment while sipping a beer at Earth, Wind, and Fire.
For more places to find as you explore downtown, Bill Hand wrote the helpful Walking Guide to New Bern. Our link takes you to Bookshop, an online bookseller that supports local bookstores like The Next Chapter.
There are even more local businesses to explore in New Bern. Do you have any favorites to share with us?
Find New Bern Bear Statues
One of the most fun things to do in New Bern is to try and find all those cute bear statues! In fact, there are more than 60 New Bern bear statues and I challenge you to go find each and every one of them.
Unlike the Swiss city’s wild bears, these statues depict professionally trained bears who work for a living, holding positions like a lawyer, doctor, and real estate agent.
Does your town do anything similar to this?
Read More: Switzerland Inn (Your Next Mountain Getaway)
African-American Heritage Tour
You can also follow an African-American Heritage Tour that includes more than 10 landmarks. Start from the Convention Center, where you can pick up a guide, and learn about the Rhone family and Isaac Smith, two names that are crucial to New Bern’s history.
North Carolina History Center
Before jumping into Tryon Palace, I think you should spend some time exploring the North Carolina History Center. They have rotating exhibits, events, and food for those who need to grab a bite.
One thing we really like about this place is its commitment to the environment, as one of the greenest buildings in our state.
New Bern was also North Carolina’s first permanent capitol and you can learn about it at Tryon Palace. Just be sure to emphasize “permanent,” or else you’ll get flogged or punished in some other time-accurate way.
Visiting Tryon Palace is one of the most popular things to do in New Bern, so read more in our article here and more on what to expect during your visit!
The Firemen’s Museum
At the Firemen’s Museum, you can learn fun stories about the fire dog, New Bern’s firefighting history, and much more. There are also artifacts from early fire fighting history, photos, and items from the Civil War.
New Bern is also home to some beautiful churches and cemeteries. The First Baptist Church and Christ Episcopal Church are two of many you’ll see between Hancock and Craven, but there are a couple of more along Queen St, too.
Is there a church in the New Bern area that stands out to you? We’d love to know about it!
New Bern Battlefield Park
Since the Battle of New Bern was fought during the Civil War, the city’s Historical Society maintains New Bern Battlefield Park on one-third of the actual battle’s land.
Contact them at 252-638-8558 in advance for a guided tour ($5 for members, $10 for non-members). You can also grab a brochure at the visitor’s center and take a self-guided tour of the site.
The Birthplace of Pepsi
New Bern is also the birthplace of Pepsi. Visiting the Birthplace of Pepsi is one of the best things to do in New Bern! The store is on Middle Street and you can have a fountain soda and imagine this famous drink’s medicinal power running through your body.
It’s such a one-of-a-kind spot that we even included it in our NC Bucket List!
The Best Restaurants in New Bern
With all this history and bear hunting, a person has to eat when hanging out in New Bern. So here are some of our favorite restaurants in New Bern.
- Eat breakfast at Baker’s Kitchen and don’t even think about avoiding their spectacular Dutch Potatoes. They also have an incredible butter syrup that is something once you experience it you’ll never stop talking about it!
- There are some absolutely incredible upscale restaurants in New Bern. The Chelsea is one such restaurant that should definitely be on your travel itinerary. With a fabulous rotation of specials and solid menu items, this upscale bistro will satisfy your cravings! Don’t forget to order the South African Pudding. It’s a banana cake with rich caramel that will seal the end to an excellent meal!
- Before our last visit to New Bern, I polled our Facebook Group to see where I should eat. The number one recommended restaurant in New Bern was Cypress Hall, and I will agree with them! This downtown restaurant features a large bar, exposed brick walls, and a strawberry cake that can only be described with drools and moans.
- You thought I was done talking about Cypress Hall? Nope! The upscale menu is the creative endeavor of New Bern native, Chef Ashley Moser. Absolutely everything I ordered from the cocktail, grilled octopus appetizer, to the delicate hanger steak was memorably delicious. I highly recommend getting reservations ahead of time, especially on the weekends. The restaurant was even packed one Wednesday evening when I stopped by!
Here are a few more restaurants to visit while enjoying all the things to do in New Bern.
- Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant is the first place many people will point you to for a great meal with a view. This is definitely a must for their Sunday Brunch!
- MJ’s Raw Bar & Grille‘s colorful decor compliments a truly delicious menu. We highly recommend getting their famous crabcakes!
- Beer Army has a huge craft beer menu but also some of the best burgers I’ve ever eaten. I’m serious.
Read More: The Best North Carolina Breweries
Lawson Creek Park
Lawson Creek Park gives you a beautiful view of New Bern’s waterfront and is a great way to start a day. There are two spots ideal for launching a boat if you brought one and two fishing piers, including one accessible one.
We enjoyed the walking trail there, too, and can’t wait to go back for more!
Ready to Enjoy These Fun Things to Do in New Bern?
So while we keep our eyes out for homes for sale in New Bern, we’d love to know what you think. Have you ever visited this little slice of paradise?
What are your favorite things to do in New Bern?
Things to Do in New Bern’s Surroundings
While these things to do in New Bern will keep you occupied, you might want to venture out and explore its surroundings!
Here are a few more places within an hour’s drive of New Bern.
Croatan National Forest
For a mix of hiking, beaches, and camping spots, Croatan National Forest has it all. There are quite a few access points, and each one offers something fun.
Exploring this public space has to be one of our favorite outdoor things to do in New Bern’s surroundings.
If you’re in that area, at least take a few moments to pay your respects at Lejeune Memorial Gardens. It’s a special reminder of those who’ve served and paid the ultimate price for our country.
If you’ve got little ones, stop by Zing Zumm Children’s Museum of Jacksonville. If you like spirits, head over to Walton’s Distillery for a tasting and a tour. It’s one of our favorites in all of North Carolina!
Read More: Restaurants in Jacksonville (and Nearby!)
You could easily spend the whole day on the beach, but don’t forget to get out and explore Fort Macon State Park and the amazing restaurants from Atlantic Beach down to Emerald Isle.
You should also visit the North Carolina Maritime Museum or just stare at the boats and water after parking on Front Street.
Oh, and don’t forget to grab some grub at Beaufort Grocery CO and Moonrakers.
The Cedar Island Ferry
New Bern is a great jumping-off point to many awesome places to visit in North Carolina along the coast.
Read More: The Best Things to Do in the Outer Banks