Published by Carl Hedinger. Last Updated on July 30, 2023.
The Horton Hotel in Boone, North Carolina is the mountain town‘s only downtown boutique hotel and rooftop bar. With an excellent location, great service, and luxurious rooms, the Horton is a mix of serendipity and hard work by the great people running it.
If you’re visiting Boone, the Horton Hotel is the best place to stay as you’re right near all the action of downtown.
10+ Things We Love About the Horton Hotel in Boone NC
We have visited the Horton Hotel on many occasions, and during one weekend, the kind folks at Explore Boone set up a stay for me there. All opinions in this article are my own.
That’s just another indication of its special status. Now, let’s dig into everything we love about the Horton Hotel in Boone, NC.
H.W. Horton founded the hotel building in the 1920s and is the hotel’s namesake. Before becoming a hotel, the building was a Studebaker dealership and then a Spainhour’s department store and apartment building.
In 2019, the Horton Hotel opened to the public, and it’s been a Boone fixture ever since. The original owners were Fulton and Denise Lovin, who founded the White Fence Farm wedding and event venue.
SPA Properties, an Appalachian State University alum-led company, bought the Horton Hotel in 2023.
Address: 611 W King St, Boone, NC
Phone Number: 828-832-8060
The Horton Hotel’s location is another reason that we love this hotel. It sits on King Street, directly across from the historic Mast General Store, and is within walking distance of all downtown attractions.
The hotel offers free parking for all guests, which is a huge bonus. Finding a good parking spot in Boone can be challenging during busy days and weekends.
The Horton’s parking spots are behind the hotel and are just a short walk away from the back door, only accessible by hotel guests and employees.
Knowing that parking is covered makes a trip to Boone even better!
An Adults-Only Boutique Hotel
The Horton Hotel has 15 rooms with luxury accommodations. All rooms but one will fit two people, with one luxury suite allowing for three.
The Horton is unique because it does not allow young children, so the hotel is ideal for couples or individuals looking to explore Boone. As a family who travels around North Carolina, we get this.
Sometimes, it’s nice to go somewhere without kids, no matter how adorable and awesome they might be.
Each room has world-class linens, plush robes and towels, quality shower products, local coffee, and unique décor.
- Luxury Suites: There are two luxury suites, one that allows for two people and the other fitting three. The suites have floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking Howard’s Knob and King Street and polished hardwood floors.
- Top Floor: Four rooms on the hotel’s upper floor have King or Queen Beds and a soft carpet. The mix of rustic and sleek decoration ties the room together.
- Mezzanine Floor: The Mezzanine level has three rooms with King beds. The hardwood floor is adorned with elegant rugs.
- Lower Level Floor: Five rooms on the lower level come with unique slate tiles and fun decorations. This floor offers special pet-friendly options, so bring your furry friends to Boone.
- Lobby Level Floor: One room on the lobby level is ADA-accessible. It’s equipped with a King bed and carpet.
Personal Touches and Additions
When booking your room at the Horton Hotel, you can also book additions to complement your stay. They include chocolates, flowers, and champagne, and there are even more options to add on for you and your special one.
The Horton Hotel’s lobby lounge welcomes guests, Boone locals, and area visitors. This is a great spot to unwind after a fulfilling day of exploration.
Relax and peruse the lounge’s menu of handcrafted cocktails and local brews paired with unique artisan snacks.
Head up to the rooftop; stunning views of the Blue Ridge Mountains greet you. The mountain range stretches north to south of North Carolina and has some of the best views in the state.
The rooftop bar is one of the Horton’s biggest selling points. The atmosphere is perfectly curated, with a warm fire, cozy blankets, and expansive views of the mountains, downtown Boone, and Howard’s Knob.
The Horton Hotel is a special place to stay throughout the year, but here are a few events to keep an eye out for:
- Live Music: The Horton often has live music at the rooftop bar, for a fun night of drinks and tunes.
- Rooftop Yoga: In the summer, the Horton Hotel works with Mountain Pose Boone to create a relaxing and peaceful yoga experience on its rooftop.
- New Year’s Eve: The Horton Hotel celebrates New Year’s with Boone’s annual ball drop event. The rooftop bar closes at 10:00 pm, while the lobby lounge stays open until midnight. The ball drop on New Year’s Eve takes place on the rooftop, and it is a spectacular winter event for Boone locals and visitors alike.
Gift Card Options
For those of you with loved ones who love to travel, a gift card to The Horton Hotel is a great idea! Customize the card with a message and the date you want it to be sent for a birthday or holiday surprise!
The Horton Hotel is a Unique Place to Stay
The Horton Hotel in Boone is a unique place to stay in one of our favorite towns in NC. It promises luxury and cleanliness for all guests.
Stay here, and you’ll have the best of Boone, from the location, service, and everything else inside this historic building.
Have you ever stayed at the Horton Hotel? We’d love to know what you thought of this place.
If not, we hope you can stay at this wonderful hotel in Western NC‘s beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains!