We’ve been thinking about unique things to do in North Carolina and had a lot of fun looking back through all the places we’ve visited. There are some real treats in our state, and not just the sweet and savory ones that’ll find their way on your plate. Here are 25 that we could come up with so far, but be sure to check back as we continue uncovering more that North Carolina has to offer.
These are just a few of our favorite places to visit in North Carolina. Check out our Travel section for more.
25 Unique Things to Do in North Carolina
4. Pick up a glass pumpkin from Star, in Montgomery County.
5. Customize your own donut at the original Duck Donuts in, wait for it…Duck.
8. Paddle hard or go ziplining at the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte.
10. Stand in awe of North Carolina’s wild horses on the Coast. We know you can find them elsewhere but ours are the prettiest of them all!
13. Sip spiked hot chocolate and marvel at the pretty lights of the NC Chinese Lantern Festival in Cary.
14. Time-travel back to Mayberry, otherwise known as Mount Airy.
15. Check out North Carolina’s pottery capital in Seagrove, Randolph County.
16. Countdown the new year and watch the Pickle Drop in Mount Olive, Wayne County.
17. Beer-hop North Carolina, which is packed with the most breweries per capita in the South. Yes, you can start in Asheville, but you must explore beyond that awesome Beertopia. Here are some of our favorites.
18. Visit over 200 artist studios in a 2-mile radius at Asheville’s River Arts District.
19. Choo! Choo! Go back in time on the Tweetsie Railroad, Blowing Rock.
20. See where North Carolina became “First in Flight” at the Wright Brothers National Memorial.
21. Pretend to dance like Baby at Lake Lure’s Dirty Dancing Festival.
22. Hang out with Alpacas at Banner Elk’s mountaintop Apple Hill Farm.
24. Marvel at the strange wonders of Wilson’s Vollis Simpson Whirligig Park.
What’s On Your List?
It was tough for us to narrow this down to 25 things to do in North Carolina because we know there are more. Also, we know that you can do some of these things elsewhere, but we think you’ll enjoy yourself a little bit more here. You might be detecting a hint of bias, but if you know us, you’ll understand that it’s all in good fun. We love this state and all the things you can do here, especially if you can’t find them anywhere else.
Of all these things to do in North Carolina what stands out as your favorite? Got anything you’d like to add to the list? We’d love to know about it in the comments section!